Tuesday 27 March 2012

Episode 1 : A Girl Who Had No Option To Choose


Even after India has got its first lady president, the condition of women's status, still requires a strong boost up to secure its prestigious value that is still missing in present Indian scenario. This real time story puts up a severe question against security issues of a girl child. This story has been presented from the perspective viewpoint of a six months old girl child who lost her father by the time she had hardly grown enough to understand what different relations meant to her.


"Listen Sangeeta,  I hope you are gonna deliver a girl child soon, this week as your date is approaching'' said the father.
   Sangeeta smiled and asked how sure he was that she would  have a girl child delivered.

"I have been praying for this for long to Lord Shiva and believe me if it happens I will not ask him to fulfil any other remaining desire in my life ahead," added the father.

I was graced to hear all this when my father expressed his deep love about me especially for a girl child as it was a rare phenomenon in my middle class family. I had no words to express my happiest state. I was in  my mother's womb by the time, my father urged his eternal attachment for me.

As soon as, a week passed, my mother cried and complained for a severe pain. I had no intention to make her suffer but it was natural.

July 25, 2006. I opened my eyes for the first time in the world. I was not welcomed much into the family. In fact  I saw compromised smiley on the faces of the family members. Well, I was the first child of my generation in the joint family having fourteen members in count. 

Truth of being a girl child was a fortunate or an unfortunate thing to consider, I had no answer.

But my father looked highly exclaimed with happiness. It seemed his ultimate desire of life had accomplished.

About five and  half of month passed. I was being trained to learn to identify different family members and their different ways of expressing  love, for me.
I enjoyed being into the family.

I remember that day when  my father told my mother that the family was going for a vacation next morning. Things happened accordingly. The whole family including me, headed for the village, reaching next evening.

It seemed as there was a marriage ceremony that lasted for four days. On the day bride farewell ceremony finished, everybody in the house looked calm and relaxed as a big function was over.
It was my father's dearest cousin marriage.

Within two hours of this function that had finished, my father complained severe sudden headache.
Everybody in the house rushed for a taxi. He was taken to the hospital.

Next morning ...


My grandfather received a phone call. He fainted as soon as he attended it. Somebody from the village sent a  message  into the home, silently and from then, I could not understand why everybody in the house was screaming and crying loudly.

I had never seen my mother into such a state before. It appeared as if she had lost something very precious. Well what it was, I had no idea.

And from then changed almost everything that related my life.

By that time I was just six months old child, on the day, my father died. 
I even had not started understanding what different relations meant to me. For me the world was just simple and raw to accumulate.

I could only differentiate good versus bad people only by their friendly or unfriendly gestures. I had to make a guess when my mother cried for my father that day, something had gone bad.
  I cried just because my mother cried and got back to normal when my uncle took me into his lap.

Few days passed my eyes used to search my father but I had no idea that he would never return.

As time passed my stored memories fainted. Now I could hardly recall that my father was missing. Now I had started recognizing new people in the house.

My maternal grandfather suggested a new marriage  proposal for my mother. 
It was totally a  rubbish proposal as it had been only fifteen days my father died.

Surprisingly my mother agreed without family consent. It appeared she had no concerns for me otherwise she would have rejected the proposal at least for the time being.

Nobody in the house even had the issues about my future perspective.

My mother started many arguments frequently in the house with my grandmother every, day and night. I could not understand why she shouted on my grandmother, as she too had  lost her precious son. So there was no point in shouting at her anyway.

No body had problem in the remarriage stuff but it was too early to take a decision. My mother didn't care for any sentiments, I hope my father wasn't watching all this.

My mother asked for my father's share in the property. But, family denied.

No body asked me what I wanted. Care, love, affection and attachment like words had lost their essence for me. I could only acquire hatred, disrespect and insecurity as no body cared for me. Believe me I was just six months old by that time.

I felt if I would have been a boy child my mother hadn't wished for her second marriage. But what if even my mother was least interested in me.


Next morning suddenly few people came in the house, lodged all my mother's luggage into a taxi. I was grabbed off from my grandmother's lap. But my mother looked happy as it was all pre planned to invite her brother from her maternal house. 

I had no idea where I was being taken to. I reached my maternal uncle's home. No body asked me for my consent. I had no option other than crying. 

Totally a new place, new people and again new relations. My mother was sent to another state to avoid villager's protests. But this time I was not being taken alongwith her. I was left all alone in a new environment surrounding strangers. 
Three years passed I grew up here alone. My Mother got married into a new family. She never came back even to see me once .

I always used to ask my maternal grandma about where, my parents were, with no answer from the front, maybe just because some chapters were still remaining to be explored in my childhood.

In lieu of this, a stranger came to the village and claimed my grandmother that  he was my real uncle.
He wanted to take me home back to Delhi where I was born. I cried and denied to go anywhere as I hardly remember where I was born and who, that man was. But they all, convinced me with biscuits and toys. I accepted and reached my new home back in Delhi.

Again a new place, new people and new relations to entertain. Again nobody asked what I wanted.

From one place to another I was kept wandering. I always kept trying to understand what would have been my developmental  affinities if I would have been a boy child.





.................................................................................................................................................

"This girl obviously deserves all her rights to be secured. Well she is just five years old by now staying  in a safe family that promises her to ensure her life security through better education, love, care and affection, no matter her both parents are still missing. She has been admitted in a good, reputed public school that will definitely help her shaping her future. Now she knows her father is no more. She has made many friends here. And I hope with time she will evolve into a good and a strong woman. "








                                                                                                                                               


No comments:

Post a Comment

Does this blog represent a true picture of Indian middle class issues?